CONSTITUTION OF THE DOWNRIGHT OBSESSED HOMEBREWERS
(As of 2019)
Section 1. Name
The name of this organization shall be the DOWNRIGHT OBSESSED HOMEBREWERS (DOH) (referred to henceforth in this document as DOH)
Section 2. Purpose
The purpose of DOH! shall be to encourage all members:
To mature as brewers and beer enthusiasts;
To promote the dissemination of knowledge in the art of brewing;
To encourage and reward individuals dedicated to the brewing arts;
To educate the beer connoisseur in identifying the components of beers;
To foster the responsible use of the products of our craft; and
To celebrate the fruits of our labors.
Section 3. Membership
The membership of this Society shall be open to any person of legal drinking age who enjoys fine beers, either by making their own or by enjoying the work of others.
Section 4. Headquarters
The headquarters of this Society shall be the Jay’s Brewing located in Manassas VA, until such time that DOH! outgrows the location, or in the case that the Jay’s Brewing asks the DOH to locate elsewhere, or if the membership, by resolution, decides to locate elsewhere.
Section 1. Supreme Law
All legislative and executive powers shall be given to and controlled by the elected officers, as elected bi-annually by popular vote by the members.
Section 2. Elected Officers
The elected officers of this Society shall be: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Event Planner/Social Outreach, Competition Coordinator and CO-Education Directors. Additional positions may be created as the club evolves at the discretion of the officers.
Section 3. Term of Office
All offices shall be held for a period of 2 years from taking office. Elections will be held at the January meeting. Elected officers will take position the following month to ensure a smooth transition.
Section 4. Removal from Office
Any officer missing three Board of Directors meetings and/or six membership meetings during his/her term of office, without reasonable excuse, shall be removed from office and replaced as soon as possible.
A reasonable excuse shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
Any officer, as determined by a majority of the Board of Directors, found not performing his/her duties, may be removed from office, subject to the approval by a majority vote of the membership at the next membership meeting following a report from the Board of Directors to the membership.
Section 5. Vacancy of Office
Any interim vacancy on the Board of Directors shall be filled by appointment by the Board of Directors, subject to the approval by a majority vote of the membership at the next membership meeting following the vacancy.
In the event the membership votes down the appointment by the Board of Directors, there will be open nominations for the vacant office and an election held at said membership meeting to fill the vacancy. A standing officer may assume more than one position until a replacement is found.
Section 6. Returning of DOH! Property
All elected officers and any members, upon completion of their term in office or assignment, shall return to the DOH! any and all papers, documents, and property deemed to be important to the operation and history of, and belonging to, said Society.
Failure to comply may result in expulsion from the Society and civil action if deemed necessary.
Duties of Elected Officers
Section 1. President
The duties of the President shall be as follows:
- To uphold the Constitution and By-Laws of the Society
- To interpret the Constitution and By-Laws of this Society when necessary.
- To set the theme and agenda for the meetings.
- To call meetings to order and conduct them in an orderly manner.
- To call for special meetings when necessary.
- To form committees when necessary.
- Shall be an ex officio member of all committees.
- To maintain a current roster of active members.
- Shall have no vote on motions made at membership meetings and/or Board of Directors meetings, except to break a tie.
Section 2. Vice-President
The duties of the Vice-President shall be as follows:
- To assist the President with his duties.
- To coordinate and organize any competition efforts.
- To present certificates of achievement.
- Encourage and coordinate field trips, speakers, tours, seminars, ect.
- Oversee committees and or special projects for the club
- Order, maintain, and disperse inventories of DOH
- If the President is absent from a meeting, the Vice-President shall assume the President's power for that meeting.
Section 3. Secretary
The duties of the Secretary/Treasurer shall be as follows:
- To take the minutes of Board of Directors meetings and membership meetings
- To maintain a file of all minutes
- To submit minutes to the Webmaster for online publication.
- If the President and Vice-President are both absent from a meeting, then the Secretary shall chair the meeting
- To assist in club publications, including, but not limited to, newsletters, posters, flyers, etc.
Section 4. Secretary/Treasurer
The duties of the Secretary/Treasurer shall be as follows:
- To administer the Society's finances.
- To collect and document monies owed to the Society.
- To manage the club’s account and arrange to have the President, Vice President and him/her self (Treasurer) to have check signing authority.
- To reimburse expenses incurred by members on behalf of the Society.
- To submit a report to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis, or when requested by the President.
Section 5. Public Relations/Media Director
The duties of the Public Relations/Media Director shall be as follows:
- To promote the Downright Obsessed Homebrewers to members and the public at large through different media outlets.
- To maintain the website of the Society's history and events, including, but not limited to, photographs.
- To encourage and coordinate the monthly club shop brewing sessions, including finding brew masters, brewers and brewing times.
- Communicate club announcements to the members at large.
- To coordinate and plan club events such as Learn to Homebrew Day, National Homebrew Day and annual picnics.
Section 6. Competition Coordinator
The duties of the Competition Coordinator shall be as follows:
- Coordinate club competitions and judgings
- Promote AHA sanctioned competitions to the club
- Maintain and keep current BrewTraq.com
Section 7. Education Director
The duties of the Edicatopm Director(s) shall be as follows:
- Provide monthly style presentations / information
- Coordinate monthly science, DIY, education presentations
Section 8. Additional duties of the Board of Directors
The duties of the Board of Director shall be as follows:
- To arrange to have guest speakers and demonstrations at membership meetings.
- To arrange the club festivals
- To arrange for tours, workshops and seminars in which the club may participate.
Section 9. Member(s) At Large
The unelected and optional position of Member at Large is designated for member(s) approved by the Board of Directors who wish to actively participate and comment on the governance of the club. They shall have no official authority or duties except those prescribed to them by the Board of Directors.
A voting quorum at a membership meeting shall be no less than ten percent (15%) of the paid membership as reported by the Membership Director at the last Board of Directors meeting previous to the membership meeting where a vote(s) is (are) to be taken.
A quorum at a Board of Directors meeting shall consist of one half of the Board of Directors plus one.
Election of Officers
Section 1. Eligibility
Any person who has been a paid member for at least six (6) months and is in good standing with this Society may run for an elected office. Honorary members may not run for elected office. Any employee of the meeting venue is not eligible to run for the office of President or Vice President of the Society.
Section 2. Nominations
Nominations will open at the December membership meeting and will close at the January membership meeting before balloting commences. The method of collecting nominees' names shall be done at the discretion of the President or whoever is chairman at those meetings.
Section 3. Balloting
A secret ballot election shall be held at the January membership meeting. Only paid members and honorary members may vote. The President shall determine how the secret balloting will take place.
Section 4. Tally
The President shall form a committee of three members not running for office to tally the ballots.
After tabulating the results, the committee shall submit a report to the President as soon as possible, but no later than the next Board of Directors meeting. If any or all of the committee wish to present the report at the Board meeting instead, they may do so.
The new officer(s) for each office shall be that person(s) with a plurality of the votes for that office.
Installation of Officers
Section 1. Officers Filling Vacancies
Any officer filling a vacancy shall be installed at the meeting at which the membership voted its approval.
Section 1. Membership Meetings
Membership meetings shall be held on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Jay’s Brewing, unless otherwise specified by the Board of Directors.
All members are encouraged to attend these events and meetings.
Membership meetings will be presided over by the highest ranking officer present, and generally proceed according to the following schedule:
- Call to Order
- Introduction and toasting of new members
- General state of the club address by the President or Vice President
- Treasurer's report (if necessary)
- Public Relations report (if necessary)
- Reports from any other officers (if necessary)
- Outstanding old business
- New Business
- Presentations and Seminars
- Sampling and evaluation of libations
Section 2. Board of Directors
Board of Directors meetings shall be at a time and place called by the President.
All officers are required to attend and submit a report pertinent to their office. Also, any member may attend these meetings. There will be a minimum of three BOD meetings per year.
Section 1. Resolutions
From time to time it may be necessary to modify this Constitution and By-Laws. The procedure shall be as follows:
- Any individual, or committee, or the Board of Directors may write a resolution to modify this Constitution and By-Laws. It shall include the reason for the change, the article, the section, the paragraph, etc., where the change will occur, and what the change will be.
- If an individual member has drafted a resolution, he/she may present it to the Board of Directors for presentation to the membership or bring it to a membership meeting for presentation to the membership. The purpose of presenting it to the membership is to inform them about it.
- After presentation the membership shall vote on whether or not to accept the resolution for consideration.
- The resolution shall be posted in the newsletter after the initial membership approval.
- At the next membership meeting, the resolution will be voted on by the paid membership. A 2/3 majority is required for the resolution to be adopted.
BY-LAWS OF THE DOH! HOME BREWING SOCIETY
Section 1. Membership
Membership lasts one year from the time the Membership Director records the members name in the roster.
Section 2. Dues
Dues shall be determined by the Board of Directors and approved by the membership. Members shall receive access to the members section of the DOH! Facebook Page, voting rights, engagement in monthly meetings, participation in the club competitions and judgings, and may enjoy any other benefits that come along with membership in this club.
Section 3. Membership Renewal
Membership renewal will be due at the members annual anniversary. Returning members who do not renew shall be placed on an inactive list. If a returning member has not renewed for a period of five years, his/her name shall be dropped from the list.
Section 4. Couples Membership
A Member’s spouse or significant other shall be considered a full member for the purposes of all Downright Obsessed Homebrewers activities. A reduced fee will be incurred for the couples membership.
Section 5. Honorary Membership
The Board of Directors may elect to designate any person an Honorary Member of the Society for a time period determined by the Board at the time of dispensing such Honorary Membership. Honorary Membership entitles such person to the members section of the website as well as any other benefits as determined by the Board of Directors at the time of election of that title.
Section 6. Membership Agreement
The Board of Directors shall codify a membership agreement that is required for all members. The agreement shall outline acceptable behavior and risks assumed by members.
Section 7. Dues
Dues shall be assessed annually by the elected officers at the beginning of their term in office. Any changes in dues will be presented to the membership and shall be approved by a 2/3 majority vote under quorum by members with voting priveleges. Dues are calculated per annum, beginning in February and shall be pro-rated to the month of membership. Dues are not refundable unless membership is stripped within 2 months of joining DOH.
Dues shall be levied as follows:
- Membership: $50.00 per annum.
- Couples Membership: $75.00 per annum.
Membership throughout the year will require full payment during the February drive.
Section 8. Membership Responsibility Clause
Participation in any Downright Obsessed Homebrewers activity is strictly voluntary. Each member and guests of members realize that participation in DOH may involve the consumption of alcoholic beverages, which may affect perception and reactions. All members shall be responsible for their own conduct and actions; and agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Downright Obsessed Homebrewers, its elected officers, its members and any business where meetings are held. Any member of DOH shall be held personally responsible for providing restitution for any damages they cause- either intentionally or inadvertently-while attending any club function. By checking into the meeting via the Society’s tablet, members agree to follow this clause.
Section 9. Guests of DOH
Any non members wishing to attend a DOH meeting or event will be limited to unpaid two visits. Once the guest has exhausted the two visits, they will be required to obtain membership or will no longer be allowed to attend DOH functions. Guests will also check in via the Tablet and agree to follow the Responsibility Clause.
Section 10. Termination of membership
The elected officers have the right to terminate membership with a majority vote for the following reasons:
- Excessive overconsumption and lack of control during events or meetings
- Perceived danger to other members
- Failure to pay dues in a timely fashion
- Any action that may be considered detrimental to the club
Termination of membership within two months of joining or renewing will be refunded for the current period dues were collect for. If a member disagrees with the termination, they may appeal the termination. The appeal must be filed with the elected officers with 14 days of the termination. The appeal will be reviewed and may be overturned at the next membership meeting with a 2/3 member vote.
Section 1. Web Address
The URL will be DOHNOVA.com
Administrative Access to DOHNOVA.com will only be granted to officers. At the beginning of an officers term, access will be granted by the webmaster. At the end of an officers term, access will be removed by the webmaster.
The Competition URL will be BREWTRAQ.com
Management of current competition series will be by the current Competition Coordinator.
Section 2. Responsibility
The Public Relations Director shall be responsible for producing and updating the website, unless another member or officer is willing to accept the task of Webmaster. In the event that a designated webmaster is assigned, they will work directly with the Public Relations Director to determine the direction of the website.
Section 3. Contents
The website shall include, but not be limited to, the following :
- Minutes of Board of Directors meetings and membership meetings. Summaries of these meetings will be acceptable.
- Articles submitted by members of appropriate length and subject matter, as determined by the Webmaster.
- A calendar of upcoming events.
- Information about upcoming competitions.
- Recipe database.
- Yeast bank inventory, if available.
- Any other beer or brewing related information as deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors.
Cut-off date for submissions to the newsletter shall be determined by the Web Master Director.
Section 1. Effective Date
This Constitution and By-Laws shall be considered in effect when approved by at least two thirds of the membership present at the membership meeting where this document is put to a vote.